• 14
Travel

The Pink Palace in Greece

The Pink Palace in Greece

Note: The original version of this article mainly focused on Juliana’s experience (see below). The decision has been made to modify it to be a more open source for reviews and discussion of this legendary hostel/hotel.

What is the Pink Palace?

The Pink Palace is a popular “resort-style” youth hostel/hotel. It’s on the island of Corfu, Greece and many people call it a backpackers’ paradise, especially for travelers looking to party hard. The hostel is owned by “Dr. George” who’s a very influential man on the island since it brings in so many tourists (read: money) all summer long. The entire facility is quite isolated from most of the island so you basically remain on-site during your stay.

During the summer, you’ll find hundreds of people here on a given day. It’s also open during the off-peak season but it’s not as busy during that time. Many people come for a few days and end up staying a lot longer. Part of that is due to its legendary reputation as a party destination, but also because it’s isolated so you get the impression that it’s hard to leave! LOL!

Major Partying

This is one of the only hostels in Europe where people stay on-site and party constantly. Expect to see people drunk and puking before the night’s over.  There’s also a lot of dancing and flirting which often leads to a lot more.

Just about everyone who’s backpacking through Europe is looking for at least one hook-up. This is one hostel where you’ll find people ready to mingle, party and more. It’s famous for people getting drunk and hooking up.

The Room

The rooms are nothing special and guests often don’t get the room they booked or expected. You have to climb hills to get everywhere and walking up to your room in the summer’s heat is not pleasant. When I stayed there, I shared a room with one of the employees who came and went all night and into the early morning hours with different girls.

The Food

The food was ok at best and this certainly isn’t the place to take in local cuisine or culture.

The Staff

Don’t expect much from the staff. Most are there to party, just like you. They don’t want to be bothered.

The Beach

The beach is great – if you ever make it there. It’s a drag to walk down to so a lot of people don’t even bother.

Sexual Harassment

In November 2003, a traveler named Juliana stayed there for 4 nights. On her fourth night, she claims to have been sexually harassed by Dr. George. Her story in her words:

“At dinnertime, with thirty fellow travelers and staff as my witness, George made physical and verbal sexual advances on me. I took the comments and touching for about 15 minutes before I turned on George and started yelling at him to get away from me. At that point, he wouldn’t leave me alone for about twenty minutes where he proceeded to make two death threats and threatened to have me kicked out of the Pink Palace. Anyone who has stayed there would know that the Pink Palace is in a remote location on a small Greek island, so as one can imagine, I was scared. George also made sexual advances on at least three other female travelers [and made inappropriate sexual comments]. Whether or not George’s comments or intentions are truthful are negligible. He made me extremely uncomfortable, scared and upset. I had to sleep in my room with two chairs blocking the door out of fear that he was serious about the death threats. George also harasses male travelers by grabbing their genitals. Someone I met while staying there was even groped in exchange for a candy bar. My story is absolute truth. I have thirty witnesses who will support my story. I understand that the Pink Palace is a travel destination for many backpackers, as it was to me. I just wish to make fellow travelers (especially female travelers) aware of the situation there.

I do not think yelling at George and creating the scene at dinner affected him at all, but I do know that it affected my witnesses, many of which left the following day. I feel for all the women who have already had dealings with George and have not come forward out of fear or guilt. Please take what I am saying without humor or doubt. The event at the Pink Palace was very serious and almost ruined my European backpacking journey. I also implore any other travelers who have encountered sexual harassment to come forward about it. Thank you for reading, and continue the safe (and fun!) travels.”

Juliana stated that she had filed a report with the US and Canadian Embassies in Greece. No other confirmation by CitynetMagazine.com has been made. For more information, contact her directly at [email protected]

Is it for you?

There seems to be a division along two lines when it comes to the Pink Palace. On one side, people come to party and are more care-free about the inequities that go on (like not getting the room you wanted, crappy food, etc). While on the other side, people hate it and it’s simply not for them.

Pink Palace Stories

We want the Pink Palace stories that you’re dying to share! Write them in below!

View Comments (14)

14 Comments

1. Richard Smith

July 9, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Only just found this story while browsing for Pink Palace memories…have to say I am a little surprised.

I worked at the PP for a full season in the late 90’s, it is set up as quite a party joint on the large Greek island of Corfu and yes a lot of boozing and ‘frat party’ type sex stuff goes on, its set up as a large drink/togaparty resort for mainly American/Canadian and Australian post grad youngsters, though nationalities and ages from all over the world make the odd appearance.

I was one of the security guys there to help out guests and keep things happy, yes there were stretchers for those too drunk to get back to their apartments! but in all my time there I don’t recall anyone (and we are talking a few thousand people here) suffering at the hands of Dr George or anyone else.

Dr George is a strong character and I heard that in his day he did enjoy the company of some of the lady guests, but he always struck me as fair and was a shrewd businessman who wouldn’t do anything to risk tarnishing this legendary resort. I think his American wife (Wendy?) would have had something to say if he had been hassling the women there.

I certainly don’t think Dr George has any interest in male travellers genitals!

Corfu is a large Greek island with a prominant police force, I would recommend any woman to contact police if they feel they have been assulted.

I’m not saying that the story is untrue, I wasn’t there at that time so don’t know. All I can say is what I experienced while I was there and nothing like that happened.

Richard (Mr) Smith.

2. doug boedecker

July 15, 2009 at 4:15 am

I worked at the Palace back in 1988 for the summer. Have stayed close with George since, been back several times. Went to his and Wendy’s wedding, actually was responsible for him getting his first website. I’ve done marketing for the Palace in the past and have run across a few disgruntled ex-guests and employees. Richard, I may have met you. I was there visiting George in 1997, 1999 & 2001 most recently. Are you the guy from central Cali?

3. Jay

August 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I stayed at PP for 9 days (no joke!) in 1998… The place is a huge frat party. They basically force you to chug some Pink Ouzo (be warned! ouzo should never be pinkl) from a big tub before your allowed into the dinner/party hall.

I heard of a few stories of girls getting harassed by “Dr.” George. After 9 days of drinkin that pink ouzo i left… I felt strange for 10 days after I left and attributed it to something mixed into that ouzo… Drugged perhaps.

4. Samantha T

August 11, 2009 at 8:30 am

I went to the Pink Palace this year. It is like 25 dollars for beds, showers, dinner, Breakfast (and sex of course included). I have been shocked. The employees are paid something like 50 euros or dollars (because mainly Canadian) a week. So the question is why would you work there? Well the last nignt of our stay one of the guys working there said: “I had sex with three girls last nignt” so the answer I guess is: “FREE sex” wich is more than shocking. Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. Anyway for me this place shouldn’t have under-aged children and avoid making adds for sex. In addition we found a used condom once so there IS sex going on in this palace. But it is a fun place to stay, and not expensive!

5. Gem

August 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm

A used condom!? Omg people MUST be having sex there! I obviously got ripped off when I stayed there because the sex was NOT included with my breakfast. My friend and travelling companion actually had to pick up a rugby player at the bar, all on her own. Just as she had at other hostels or bars throughout our European backpacking experience. I however, did not “hook up” even when I stayed at the evil Pink Palace.

The Pink Palace is not the only hostel in Europe (or anywhere else in the world) that young travellers are visiting to get drunk and/or laid. I would venture to say its probably happening at MOST hostels, and even hotels throughout the world.

As for the employees working there for the “FREE sex”, what does that even mean? We’ve already established that its an infamous party hostel and that the “guests” are getting it on so I don’t think they need to work there to get laid. As well, during my stay there I never saw any hookers or escorts or a brothel so that kinda leads me to believe that most of the sex going on at the Pink Palace is happening for free.

The sex is not the only “free” thing for employees though, in exchange for working there, they get free room and board, they can use all of the facilities for free AND they get cheap/free booze! And on top of that they get 50 euros a week for staying at and experiencing a resort that would normally COST them at least a few hndred euros a week! Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I don’t really understand what the last person was so “Shocked” about. There are no “underage” children there (P.S. ALL children are underage) and I have also never seen an ad for sex at the pink palace, I don’t even think they advertise. I think that the person who wrote the last post should probably stick with the four star hotels that Mommy and Daddy pay for, it sounds more their style. That is, if that post wasn’t written by a parent themselves. It sounds like a middle aged person but the lack of common sense makes me wonder.

Anyways, the pink palace is exactly what it strives to be, ” a vacation from your vacation” where backpackers can put there packs down for awhile, enjoy bacon and eggs, and maybe even get a little bit crazy on European backpacking adventure. If its not ur style, don’t waste your time and money going there. It doesn’t pretend to be something its not so u knew what u were in for before you arrived. If you didn’t, then u should research your travel destinations better.

As for the girl who was harrassed by Dr George, I’m very sorry that happened to you. I have heard other very similar stories of him pushing his boundaries with the ladies. Good for you for speaking up about it. If more women did then he probly wouldn’t get away with it.

Peace and safe travels.

6. Paulc

August 30, 2009 at 10:11 am

I remember staying there in thg fall of 1989 and George was really cool. He did end up smashing 15 plates over my head at once to set a new record. After that I didn’t recall much…

7. Holly

October 16, 2009 at 1:39 am

WEO PINK PALACE! I recently traveled to the legendary Pink Palace this past summer with a close friend. We felt instantly welcome as most of people/staff were indeed Canadian or American. We were there for 4 days that were by far more wild then even our wildest dreams. It’s definately true what they say, this place is a sinful land of wicked fun and endless partying, and yes breakfast basically came with a side of sex.

It lived up to our expectations so much that we hope to spend next summer joining their employment team. The pay isn’t much but when everything else is basically included you can’t go wrong. Besides if we really wanted to make money this obviously wouldn’t be the ideal place.

In our time here we learned some pretty good tips to share with the rest of you. FIRST: Go on a booze cruise, you most definately won’t be disappointed, as naked cliff jumping, free questionable drinks, and body shots are expected. SECOND: Try not to get to wasted beyond belief at the bottom of the hill – remember you still have to walk/crawl/drag yourself up. and THIRD: Try to avoid hooking up outside. Yes, there are secret cameras everywhere, and yes you will most likely get caught (try to at least keep your pants on if anything) haha!

Safe travels!

8. Luke

August 31, 2010 at 7:38 am

this place sounds crazy can anyone tell me how I get a job there I need to get out of Australia for a while thanks

9. ed

October 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm

be warned if u work there you will earn your money. yes its free accom food and booze when i was there but in return u will work up to 16 hours a day and more if dr george is in a bad mood. that said it was an amazin place to be as a guest. but make sure u hav a good back up plan if u plan to work there in case it dnt work out.

10. Claire

January 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

I stayed at the PP back in 1996 and I absolutely LOVED IT! I still have dreams of going back there and if circumstances allow it I would love to work out there sometime. I met some great people (one person in particular) who I am still in touch with to this day. It was one of the best times of my life and I feel so very fortunate to have been able to go there! I LOVE IT!

11. Nic

July 10, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Was there in 1988 and 1994. Be expected that it is a party hostel and it is for people that like to socialize, party and have fun. There are hookups like mad going on.

I had a blast both times and played fooseball with George a bunch of times. Never had him grab my balls, lol, but he did hit on women some times but was never over the top then.

I had thought about working there also at the time but was told of the long hours and also that George could get pissy but that it was mainly for the fun and the hookups if I were to get a job there.

That’s my take and I feel awful for the women that had that happen to. If it were me I would do exactly as she has. I’m just stating that my experiences were the opposite at those times.

12. money mike

September 28, 2011 at 4:07 am

I stayed there in the fall of 2003 and had quite an amazing time. The place was at low capacity but that didn’t stop the party at all. I met most of my close peeps in Italy waiting for the ferry and it was on before we arrived. Mostly Americans studying abroad and it was four days of constant party only breaks were for food and “rest.” I was told that there were no bonfires allowed on the beach which I took as a challenge and I threw a rager on my last night that ended with me carrying a 175lb frat boy up the hundreds of stairs from the beach to the hostel at 3am in the morning only to have him run naked through the hostel and end up licking the nipples of one of the many stray dogs that live within the resort. I still have friends who call me Hercules for that walk up the stairs but what can I say… the place invites amazing feats of strength and stamina. I wouldn’t go back because now I’m happily married but for those who are not the pink palace is a must do stop!

13. Karen

May 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I stayed there in July of 1989. It was a great party for 3 days. There is a reason all of the floors are tile… I don’t ever recall indulging in breakfast. I can say there where a lot of drunk if not dead mosquitoes. It’s the first time my travel companion had ouzo and for the longest time he thought it was actually pink! LOL. At the time it definitely not an atmosphere for the sober at heart. If your in for a great party, beautiful beach and a cheap place to stay this is the place.

14. Juliana

April 22, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Hi everyone, I’m Juliana, the one who experienced the negative events at pink palace many years ago now. Just wanted to write a comment (I do check this website and its comments every once awhile) to thank everyone for reading my story. If anyone would like to ask me any questions any my experience, I can be reached at [email protected], or I can still be reached at [email protected] like the article says (although I’m trying to slowly decommission the AOL account for obvious reasons lol). Happy and safe travels everyone!

Travel

This is the general account for various contributors to the magazine.