If you’ve ever visited or at least looked into a Bahamas vacation, chances are you heard all about the island called Nassau, with its major urban activity, the Atlantis Hotel on Paradise Island, giant market and Americanized food chains. That’s where most tourists go, especially since the island is a major port for cruise ships. If that’s your type of vacation, then that’s great. Book your trip and have a blast! However, if you need an introductory guide to another side of the Bahamas, read on.
Exotic & Prestine Islands
Now, there’s an entire other side to the Bahamas that is exotic, prestine, and really not that far from the coast of Florida. They’re called the Bahamas Out Islands and they consist of a group of islands, each with its own unique flavor and offering. An Out Islands Bahamas vacation is like nothing you’ve experienced before.
An Authentic & Unique Experience
They’re known as “The Real Bahamas” for one great reason – life on the Out Islands is authentic. If you’re tired of packed resorts teeming with artificial food, forced activities, a constant push to get you to buy junk, then the Out Islands is the perfect getaway for you. These Bahamas islands haven’t been flooded with fast food restaurants and you won’t find a t-shirt store on every corner. They’re the real deal and you can get a truly unique experience by vacationing here.
I put the word “popular” in quotations because there are islands with a lot more tourists and vacationers than others, but they still host far fewer tourists than major islands like Nassau.
Just like the Greek islands, each island in the Bahamas is unique. The islands that you want to look into include the following:
- Andros Island
- The Abaco Islands: Great Abaco & Little Abaco
- The Berry Islands
- The Exumas
- Harbour Island
- Long Island
- Cat Island
The Benefits of Visiting The Out Islands
- No Crowds: You won’t find major lines for activities, pushing and shoving, or beach parties strewn with teens on the Out Islands.
- Great Beaches: The Out Islands boast some of the best beaches in the Bahamas. Untouched sand stretches for miles around, and you are free to stroll along the shore as much as you want to.
- No Beach Restrictions: These islands have long, natural beaches. You can take long, calm walks while enjoying the fresh air, and powdery sand. You won’t find resort hotels that restrict you to one beach or another.
- Peace and Quiet: The Out Islands are quiet, restful, and tranquil.
- Plenty of Activities: The Out Islands offers snorkelling, scuba diving, fishing, kayaking, diving, nature hiking, and many other activities. The difference is that activities on the Out Islands aren’t controlled by tour groups and tour guides – move at your own pace.
- Diving Paradise: Divers come from all over the world to go scuba diving around the Bahamas Out Islands. Andros Island in particular offers blue hole diving which is like nothing you’ve ever experienced. Novices are welcomed by most diving company operators.
- Reknown Fishing: Islands such as Andros Island offer tremendous fishing opportunties, including the world famous bonefishing.
- Real Life: See how the people of the Bahamas really live. Visit with locals, eat local food, and observe day-to-day life. You can even join in the local festivals.
- Private Lodging: The Out Islands offer many private lodging options. These accommodations are perfect for romance and relaxation. Most islands have small hotels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rental houses, and at least one larger resort hotel.
If you’re looking for a fantasy wedding, the Bahamas Out Islands make for an ideal wedding setting. Saying your “I Dos” on an Out Island means you’re having a private ceremony that’s put-together by a small wedding team. You won’t find any “wedding mills” here!
While major airlines fly into Nassau, you will probably have to take a short flight on a small plane to get to these remote islands. These flights are part of the adventure!
Are You Ready?
If you’re ready for a truly serene vacation, then look to the Out Islands. Take a vacation that’s as far away from the rest of the world as you can be by enjoying the picturesque Out Islands.